Malta vs Manchester

Finally being back feels a little strange, especially since I’m here for 3 weeks before I depart for Bournemouth  for the next 12 months. So my time back home feels a lot like a vacation abroad in some ways. Strangely enough, there are some things I miss back in MCR (the weather not being one of them), however there are also aspects about my home that I feel cannot be iterated elsewhere. A comparison must be made.

Firstly, just to set the scene, the Maltese archipelago consists of a number of islands situated between Sicily (60km away) and Libya, the largest of the islands being Malta(27km long by 15km wide). It can be crossed by car in little over an hour, the population is around 450,000 and we drive cars like there is no tomorrow. Here’s a map for those of you without any imagination:

You may have to squint a little 😛

So some major differences I can’t help but notice are as follows:

1) The people – Loud but friendly

Everyone here is so much more approachable, everyone just wants to have fun, relax and enjoy life. Night clubs are free, drinks are cheap, beaches are everywhere and there’s enough sun to turn northerners into walking tomatoes in minutes. So this is probably why. You can walk home late at night without really worrying about being mugged (if someone asks you for a lighter, they genuinely want a lighter!). This is especially true come summer, when students from Europe stay here for the summer to learn English at one of the language schools, the endless stream of boat parties, beach days, BBQs and the like make sure that everyone is out to have a good time.

2) The driving and the roads (this could be it’s own blog post)

Road works, relaxed, no hassle

There’s a reason why so many people drive Land Rovers here. If the roads were any worse we’d be getting around in tanks. The myriad of potholes forces one to remain at a cautiously slow speed. However, this is probably for the best, because just like our Sicilian neighbours, we love speed and don’t have time for the rules of the road. This is something I don’t miss, I must say that I admire that people in the UK have a level of etiquette on the road and the infratructure is well kept (imo). Things seem to be done on time and in a high quality fashion. Of course, some of you may disagree or have higher standards for local services. Keep in mind however, that I am comparing this to what I am used to back home, where filling a pothole only serves to create a large, upward facing, ball of tarmac in the place of the pothole in question.

3) There’s always something going on in Manchester

The parade for Sir Alex Ferguson’s Departure

I find it hard to get bored in a city where there exists such a multitude of different people. There’s always something going on somewhere, and if you add university societies to the mix, then you’re really spoilt for choice. To mention a few, there’s a few awesome jazz clubs in the northern quarter (free entry and free pizza on Monday to Thursday nights) You can go skiing in THE Trafford centre, there are local markets popping up during the week, a BMX track in Platt Fields park (if you’ve never been, you MUST GO!) Old Trafford (of course) and enough clubs and bars to quickly drain you of your student loan.

4) Living with friends

Okay, this one is not exculsive to Manchester, but it’s something I do not get to enjoy while I’m back home. If you have any reservations about sharing a house with friends you should really go ahead and try it out. Granted you have to choose you housemates wisely (go for responsible people rather than just fun people) and you will have some arguments and frustrations, but it’s an outstanding experience. Plus chances are you’ll have some memories to take back from your university experience.

5) Food!

Tagliatelle con Bolognese

The Maltese cook like the Italians, the pasta is “al dente” and the ingredients are fresh. Can’t say I enjoy eating much in Manchester, although living on the curry mile has led to my discovery of some interesting Asian cuisine.

6) The countryside

Dingli Cliffs Malta

Firstly, I love British countryside, I’ve been to both the Lake and Peak Districts and they are truly stunning, however Manchester is devoid of real countryside (where one can escape the city), except for the parks (which you wouldn’t even dream of entering at night). Although I love the city life, the stress of it all can be frustrating. When you live close to the centre and hearing sirens becomes a common thing throughout the day it gets quite annoying. This is why I really miss the Sea and the Countryside, less stress and less hassle. It’s also a lot easier to  participate in outdoor sports like rock climbing, abseiling, hiking and biking, since everything is so close by.

7) Lastly, the weather…

Oxford Road

If you like having your feet soaked day in day out and thrive in the darkness of greyish black skies, then Manchester is the place for you. The former may just be my own problem, as even after 2 years there, I have yet to buy a proper umbrella (hoodies FTW).